Salvador Dali exhibition in Prague.

Wednesday 18 September 2013

I  D O N ' T  D O  D R U G S.  I  A M  D R U G S.

It was my first time photographing art, and to be honest, I did not know how to approach it. I loved the feeling of being in an art gallery, so it's fair to say the first picture shows everything I wanted you to see. Space, art, people lost in contemplation. I didn't know whether I should photograph each piece (Alright, not each, but my favourites) separately or give you a vague idea of how it all looked like. I mean, maybe not all of you have experienced something like that yet. Despite being all chicken, breaking the rules of no photographing inside of the gallery, I took a few snaps to freeze the moment.

It's hard to describe the joy I felt when I saw big "Salvador Dali exhibition" sign when strolling Prague's Old Town. As I might have told you already, I hate how little I actually know about art. I omitted the Alphonse Mucha exhibition, because I did not know anything about his works. Dali is another story. Melting pocket watches must have been the first signs of surrealism and symbolism I've ever perceived. So in some beautiful way, experiencing that exhibition of graphic art and sculpture was like saying hello to an old friend of mine.

All in all, I'm really really happy we did this! I'm pretty sure I would have regretted not seeing that outstanding piece of art. My ultimate favourite was the series of watercolor illustrations of Dante’s Divine Comedy. With symbolic travels through disturbing Hell, Purgatory and soothing Heaven.

If you could visit one and one exhibition only, whose exhibition would that be?*
(*my anwer to that question would be Vincent van Gogh)

[lomo side of the story: pictures featured in this post were made using my beloved  PRAKTICA MTL3 with Helios 44-2 lens :) films used were Tudorcolor XLX 200 and Fuji Superia 200, both gave some great results this time, despite artificial lighting conditions. It's a definite yes for me! I was really glad Tudorcolor turned out to be a good choice, I'm always kind of insecure when using cheap films like that, and it's cheapest 200 I've stumbled upon so far! BIG YES FOR ME :) ]

learn how to appear on my blog here.




Piece of the exposition. To be exact, part of Hell watercolors of Divine Comedy. In the right top corner you can see one of my faves, a watercolor called "The Wood and the Suicide" -- representing concept of souls of people who have committed suicides, when being sent to hell, turning into trees as a form of punishment.


Despite my friend being one gorgeous lady, I can help but stare at the lovely bokeh outside the window. It was raining, hard. By the time we got to the gallery, we were soaking wet, calves down. I spent the next day drying my shoes with a hairdryer.








Exposition held at the Gallery At the White Unicorn (U Bileho jednorozce), Old Town Square 15, Prague

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely post!

    I've never been a person who "got" art - as in paintings, sculptures, etc. I think because it lacks human interaction and it's always too abstract for me. I really wish I appreciated it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean, dear! I couldn't be appreciating art just for the sake of it. It needs to be "the art" to get to me in a proper way :) I'm sure you must have some kind of a favourite though!

      Delete
  2. I think whem i go into galleries it's like i enter the church and am i not able to take any pictures whatsoever...
    Usually i'm very mesmerized with the work and just try to 'see' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I only got a couple of pictures done. I actually failed to photograph my favourites, probably because they had such big impact on me, but the whole place was so fascinating that I just had to somehow "take it home" with me :)

      Delete
  3. There is really nothing like going into an art gallery... I love that everyone suddenly has a curiosity to the art and the work that other people have done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salvador Dali exhibition in Prague, my friend would actually die from happinness if she got to experience this. Unfortunately we're going to be in Prague after it's over!

    I like how you've photographed it, it gives us a good look at how the exhibit was like overall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely, I have to say! You've managed to combine very well both shots of the space and shots of the pieces! It is not easy to photograph a gallery space - there are so many different lights to begin with. You've done a great job, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Polly! ♥ Your opinion means so much!

      Delete
  6. The picture of your friend is fantastic and the frame you've managed with the background is great! (oh Dali, I love that that some of the best known examples of catalans are just crazy nuts)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photography on your blog is so pretty!
    Lucia's Loves
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite artist is Klimt (cliché, I know), but if I could visit any art exhibition I'm not sure that would be it. I would go for something interactive, I think.

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are so beautiful! I just came across your blog! I am in deep love with your header/logo, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh great minds do think alike! This is a great post. I've never really "understood" art, but I love walking into galleries, and taking the time and thoughts to absorb and try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you photographed the exhibition wonderfully :) Sometimes I think, "Should I photograph or just appreciate?" Of course, others want to appreciate, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would probably say Hamershoi ... Since I have seen some of his paintings in Copenhagen two or three years ago I've been eager to see more of his work.
    (And yes, if you ever come to Paris I'd be happy to show you around if I'm not too busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. stunning pictures, i am surprised that you are able to take so pretty pictures indoors, under that artifical lights! i never seem to be able to do that, you talented thing!

    The Young Bridget Jones

    ReplyDelete

© Dipped in Rococo ~ lifestyle in analog Maira Gall.