the essence of Budapest

Monday 18 August 2014


First of all, three days in Budapest are not sufficient, and this is what we all felt when we had to depart. I'd say our pace was pretty fair, spending about 12 hours exploring the city each day, yet we did not manage to see everything we were supposed to. It was all about choosing what we wanted to see the most.

At first I wanted this post to look exactly like the essence of Prague, but then I realized that this year I am a different person. Different things make me feel alive, and I truly hope that those photographs could speak for themselves. It's just a selection of photographs that caught my attention, some I am saving for later, because there will be at least two/three more posts (I hope). Newly tried films are Fuji Pro 400H & Ferrania Solaris.

I am so happy my films survived scanning at the airport, because well, I asked for manual inspection twice and both times they refused andI heard that the X-ray would not be harmful. Basically those people looked like they had no idea what they were talking about, not winning my trust and therefore leaving me shaking when I were to reclaim developed films this afternoon. Thankfully, apart from some blue lights on the bottom side of the pictures, they are safe & sound! :)

I love my summer trips these years, and I am shamelessly picking Rome for vacay 2015. It's an unusual feeling to be so far away from home and even better to come back. 

Enjoy the photographs, guys. Open your hearts and take Budapest all in, the way I did when I was standing on the top of the Gellert hill, taking the first photograph in this post. More to come, definitely more to come.

I was not sure whether I took this photograph or not. It was the first of a new roll, the tram was about to leave and I could not bear the thought of losing such an image. The film did not fully reflect the beautiful light of the moment, but that photograph remains my most precious one, because of how badly I tried to hold it down.



Fuji Pro 400H



Ferrania Solaris 200



Fuji Pro 400H expired








Fuji Superia 200






Fuji Superia 400

22 comments:

  1. I've been to Budapest loong time ago and I didnt like it at all. But looking at your photos Ill maybe come back there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Budapest what feels like a lifetime ago! 10 years! These brought me right back and I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? I look at these photographs and I think: "This why I love film photography!" I can "feel" Budapest. These beautiful pictures are just so alive! So thank you, for making me feel this beautiful city through your photography. I hope to go there someday. And I will definetly try the films you used during your trip when I get the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures! :) I went to Budapest two years ago and didn't really like it. Mostly due to the fact, that I went around the Hungarian National Day and apparently most things (read: everything) are closed up to and after this day. It was a really disappointing trip so I still need to give Budapest a second try in the future.

    If you ever go back to Budapest you should try the 'Invisible Exhibition' . It's a great exhibition where you experience how it's like to be blind. Afterwards the exhibition you'll be dining in the dark :) Link: http://www.lathatatlan.hu/en/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it, I was born in that country (but not living there). If anyone needs a language question .. :}} Fajnie zdjęcia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. now i want to go to Budapest too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are beautiful pictures of a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your photos because I can feel the atmosphere, the vibe, the way it sounds, feels and smells... You never cease to amaze me when it comes to imagery ahah xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah these photos are so beautiful! Budapest looks beautiful too, I need to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love seeing all the different films and such great photos too (glad they survived the airport) I always get nervous picking up film - every time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic, Kasia!
    What a wonderful atmosphere.
    I'd love to visit Budapest too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are gorgeous photos! There is truly something magical about film.

    http://dignifiable.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dzięki za komentarz ;)
    Byłam kiedyś w Budapeszcie, co prawda tylko na dwa dni, ale bardzo spodobało mi się to miasto :)

    http://mademoisellejuliet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Photos magnifiques et superbes la nuit !!!!! Bravo Kasiu .... Merci à toi pour nous faire voyager jusque Budapest !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Budapest has been on my go-to list for a while, and these make me want to travel there sooner than later :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never been there but Budapest looks like lovely place. you have captured the essence of it perfectly well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos! I Love You SO MUCH and I can't wait till saturday, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful ;)

    http://sk-artist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I miss travelling already! I was just in a lovely city too, but my stay was sadly not prolonged. Therefore I can empathize. Budapest seems like the dream, and hopefully you'll be able to revisit again and take it all in again. I know I have just by these photos - Nancy is too right, you are the expert of imagery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Solaris is such a beautiful film :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've actually just recently started to think about the X-ray inspections possibly ruining my films. It hadn't even crossed my mind when traveling before. We traveled to Hawaii 2 years ago and my films photos turned out just fine, so I'm not sure if I believe the X-ray could completely destroy them... And another thing was that we literally had to run to most of our connection flights - had I have asked for a manual inspection, we probably would have missed a flight! :D But still... it would be awful to loose all pictures of a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Świetne zdjęcia! Zwłaszcza to pierwsze! :)) Wróciły mi wspomnienia sprzed dwóch lat, kiedy miałam okazję również odwiedzić to miasto ;)

    ReplyDelete

© Dipped in Rococo ~ lifestyle in analog Maira Gall.